DEED OF APPROPRIATION OF LACOCK CHURCH

MS 1783
MS Short Title DEED OF APPROPRIATION OF LACOCK CHURCH
Text DEED IN WHICH SIMON DE GANDAVO, BISHOP OF SALISBURY, ALLOWS THE APPROPRIATION OF LACOCK CHURCH BY THE ABBEY, AT THE REQUEST OF SIR JOHN BLUT. MASSES AND ANNIVERSARIES WERE TO BE CELEBRATED IN THE CHAPEL IN THE CONVENTUAL CHURCH FOUNDED BY SIR JOHN AND MARGERY, HIS LATE WIFE; 1/2 D WOULD BE GIVEN EACH YEAR ON HIS ANNIVERSARY TO 1000 POOR PEOPLE, 1 WOMAN WOULD BE ADMITTED EACH YEAR INTO THE COMMUNITY AT THE NOMINATION OF SIR JOHN AND HIS HEIRS. ENDORSEMENT BY R. DE TOPPECHYME, PUBLIC NOTARY
Description MS in Latin on vellum, Lacock, Wiltshire, England, 6 March 1311, 1 f., 22x35 cm, (16x29 cm), 24 long lines in a fine English court documentary script, decorated opening letter, 3 seals of mandorla form, 6.6x3,5 cm, 5,8x3,2 cm and 6,5x4,5 cm, of the Bishop of Salisbury (green wax), the Abbess, and the Convent (brown wax).
Provenance 1. Augustinian Abbey of St. Mary, Lacock, Wiltshire (1311-); 2. Sir Thomas Phillipps, Cheltenham, Ph 32677 (-1872); 3. Katharine, John, Thomas and Alan Fenwick, Cheltenham (1872-1946); 4. Robinson Bros, London (1946-1981); 5. Sotheby's 13.4.1981:105g; 6. Bernard Quaritch Ltd., London.
Commentary Lacock Abbey, a house of Augustinian canonesses, was founded in 1229 by Ela, heiress of William, Earl of Salisbury, and wife of William Longspée. The Bluet or Blut family of Lackham were notable benefactors.
Exhibited Comité International de Palaéographie Latin (CIPL) at Senate House, University of London, 3 September 2008.
Place of origin Wiltshire
Dates 1311 AD

Location