4.4 Latin Documentary Scripts

  • Filters
Deed of Gift to the Monastery of St Sebastian | MS 591/49
MS in Latin on vellum, County of Cerdanya, Pyrenean Catalonia, 26 October 965, in a Carolingian documentary script of medium quality, penwork notarial mark of the presbiter Godmares. Annotated on the dorse in a 17th c. hand.
Deed of Gift Abbey of St Laurence | MS 590-50
MS in Latin on vellum, San Iuliani de Altura, Terrassa near Barcelona, 23 May 1062, in a Current Carolingian documentary script, the confirmation clause in an engrossed and more cursive version of the script, by the monk Benedictus. Annotated on the dorse in several later medieval hands.
Concord Priory of Haliwell | MS 1648
MS iin Latin on vellum, Haliwell Priory, Middlesex, ca. 1181-1188, in a fine Romanesque documentary script. Two seals in red wax of Roger de Bray riding his horse, the other of mandorla form showing his wife Margery standing.
Land Grant to St Facundus | MS 590/53
MS in Latin on vellum, Toledo, Spain, 5 March 1195, 1 f. in a formal Romanesque documentary script by the royal clerk Michael. Annotated on dorse in Spanish.
Abbey of St Mary, Trier, Land Grant | MS 607
MS in Latin on vellum, Trier, Germany, mid 12th c., 1 f., 26x32 cm, (25x32 cm), 20 long lines in a large Romanesque documentary script, first 6 words in tall compressed capitals.
Praetorian Fleet Diploma | MS 698
MS in Latin on bronze, Roma, 13 February 139, 2 tabellas, in formal Latin capitals, 2 holes through each tablet for a wire that originally bound the two tablets together, secured with the seals of the 7 witnesses.
Charitable Request on Bronze Tablet | MS 1976
MS in Latin on bronze, Spain or South Italy, 209, 1 partial plaque, 22x15 cm, single column, (22x15 cm remaining), 13 lines in a transitional script between square and rustic Latin capitals.
Rare Leaf from Tour Scriptorium | MS 570
MS in Latin on vellum, St. Martin's Tour, France, 2nd half of 7th c. in Merovingian cursive (text 1), lined with part of a leaf of a late classical papyrus codex (text 2) in Greek, 7th c.
Charter of Goodwine | MS 600
MS in Anglo-Saxon on vellum, Christ Church, Canterbury, 1013-20, 1 f., 5x26 cm, (5x25 cm), 5 long lines in a handsome skilful Anglo-Saxon minuscule, at the foot, the upper part of "+cyrograpfhum" in bold capitals with uncial "M".